Innovation Spotlight: High Tech Weight Loss & Fitness
Innovation comes about in all areas. On this blog we often focus on innovative forms of communication, or design or advanced technologies that make life easier or more productive.
Of course, the area of health, fitness and wellness is always full of innovative processes and technological advances. But here’s an example of innovation that truly helps everyday people solve an everyday problem, utilizing bleeding edge technology that would’ve been unthinkable just a few years ago.
Not long ago, a friend told me about a revolutionary device he read about that tracks the number of calories your burn with unprecedented accuracy – not just while you’re working out (like a heart rate monitor), but 24 hours a day, even while you’re sleeping. Combined with a highly personalized website that allows you to easily input your personal stats, set weight and fitness goals, and track your calorie intake, this product represents true innovation in the area of health and wellness.
bodybugg is technological innovation at its best. It combines a sophisticated web-based user interface, an exceptionally “smart” device you wear on your arm that monitors FIVE different physical responses to accurately track calorie burn, and an optional digital display that reports it all to you in real time.
The bodybugg website describes it like this…
“The bodybugg armband calorie tracking device uses a patented process to monitor and interpret your calorie burn throughout the day or during your workouts. Using data from four physiological sensors in conjunction with your body parameters (age, gender, height, and weight), the bodybugg electronic calorie counter provides the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure available outside of a clinical setting.
“The bodybugg system uses a patented process for interpreting calorie burn. The process is based on:
- Steps: The accelerometer counts steps by measuring the distinct patterns created by running or walking.
- Galvanic skin response: When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This meas
- Motion: The armband contains an accelerometer that measures motion from multiple perspectives.
- urement helps the device understand how active you are.
- Skin temperature: There’s an electronic thermometer inside your armband that monitors how hot you are.
- Heat flux: When you move, your muscles produce heat. Your armband measures the heat that’s flowing from your body into the environment.”
The bodybugg is sold by a company called 24 Hour Fitness. You can learn more about bodybugg at the 24 Hour Fitness website.